Thursday, November 09, 2006

Hairstyles

A friend emailed me and asked what I do with my hair. She said she had 6yo locks also and wanted some inspiration for new styles from someone who had similar length locks.

I replied that right now, I'm in love with my Softspike curlers. When I take them out, I get long Shirley Temple curls. I usually leave them intact for up to a week. After that I shake out what's left of the curl and just wear in in a loose curl with some of the hairties I made to keep it off my face. You can see a picture of those curls in the post directly below or in my fotki album. I don't use setting lotion, but I've tried the JML setting lotion (it's ok). Others use Lottabody, which I used when I was relaxed.


My daughter also has 3yo locks. She likes it best when I braid in about 20 sections and then take it out for a crimped look. I use crinkles and curls on hers because it seems hers doesn't hold a curl as long as mine.















I haven't really tried to do up-dos partly beacuse they feel heavy and partly because I can't seem to get it all up in something that looks like a style using only my two hands. I think I need at least one or two more hands to make it look like it wasn't a mistake! Plus, I don't do alot of parting because my crown area is thin. When I'm not feeling like curling, I just leave it straight and pull it back with a tie or pull it up into a high "I Dream of Jeannie" ponytail. This french braid is one hairstyle that I've mastered and can do quickly. Also, this style will last for several days, even if I don't cover it at night!





I'm looking for cute, but easy to do styles. But part of the appeal of SL's is that I can do nothing and still look good! I washed my hair this weekend and, since I'm getting ready to retighten, I didn't curl it. What was unusual was that rather than pulling it back, I just let it flow with no ties or anything, which is something I rarely do because I hate it falling into my face or having to constantly flip it over my shoulder. Stay tuned for more hairstyles.

16 comments:

Cluizel said...

Ohmigoodness Brenda!!! I love your hair (I know I have told you that a few times already but I really do) lol.

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

You locks look wonderful! You are a true lock inspiration!

BlaqKofi said...

Absolutely gorgeous length, locks and style! Just beautiful. You and your locks are inspiring. Great photo also.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful...absolutely STUNNING!!! I am so excited about what I can look forward to :)

Abena

brunsli said...

I love the braid - and cute hair tie too!

Goodnapps said...

Your braid do is so gorgeous!! I soft spike set my hair a couple of days ago and it turned our really well. sorry no pics though..the blog lazies are back. But all the while I kept thinking of your shirley temples and there was no need for me to "finger comb" the curls. I unrolled and left them be.

Thanks for the setting lotion info. I would of bought the the JML but since you said the CNC
gives a better hold, seems like I should go for that one.

Good tips indeed!

Brenda said...

Thanks, everyone! I must admit, I've been lazy about styling, but I'm going to get to it!

Jeri said...

Wow! Really Beautiful! My locs are similar in density to yours. I'm celebrating 5 years today (yay!) so I'm excited for what I may be able to achieve at 6 years. Your locs are awesome!

Sister-in-Locks said...

Wow! That's beautiful.

Valenciajaz said...

Your hair is bee u tee full! I wish my hair was long enuf to the that braid thing. It's the bomb.

~jaiDalon~ said...

Your locks are AMAZING! I'm sure you've heard that a million times but I'm just adding my five cents here.

C & C said...

ok, i'm offically in total awe! talk about rockin the locs...you do it with so much style.

Brenda said...

You all make me feel tingly all over! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Brenda,
Your hair is simply GORGEOUS!!!!

Natural Kinks said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Ditto what the sistas said. Rock it, woman!