Thursday, July 05, 2007

Bun Tutorial

Warning!!! This is going to take a good 30 to 45 minutes to get it right!


Instructions refer to photos starting from top row left to right, continuing down to second row, etc.

Photo 1 - Pull all your hair up into a high ponytail on top of your head - You don't want it to sit on the back of your head or you'll never be able to lean back! Bad for driving!

Photo 2 - I did this in five sections, so starting on one side, separate about 1 fifth of your hair and make sure the strands are smooth and free of tangles. This was particularly important to me because I wanted it absolutely smooth and symetrical.

Photo 3 and 4 - Start winding the first section around the base of the ponytail at it's lowest point. Don't worry too much because subsequent sections will cover it, but wrap it tightly and as compactly as possible because you don't want it to get too bulky too fast, especially if your hair is very long and you need to make several rotations.

Photo 5, 6 and 7 - Once the first section is tucked under, continue with sections 2 - 5, making sure to continue winding, smoothing and tucking in the same direction at all times. This helps to keep the bun even all around and not lopsided.

Photo 8, 9 and 10 - After all sections are wrapped, tuck any stray ends under the base of the bun or into the body of the bun and then smooth to adjust any holes you make when tucking in strands. Check the back also - It has to look great coming and going!

Photo 11 and 12 - Voila! Your bun is done! If your hair is long, you can do it without pins, as I did. If hair is shorter, I would suggest using very thin hairpins and insert them gently.

Photo 13, 14, and 15 - Adding decoration makes good dramatic effect! Put your Brunsli hairtie to great use, just wrap it around the base of the bun and try putting the decorative shell in the back. Your face is already drama enough for the front, give the folks behind you something to stare at! If you don't have ties, use flowers or another kind of clip. (Ayankha - These ties were some I made using Brunsli's inspiration.)

After I put this bun in, I jumped around, shook my head and held it up-side-down to make sure it was secure. It was. Even a strong wind wasn't moving this! It lasted the entire evening (and could have gone longer!), and since I didn't have any pins in it, there was nothing poking me and giving me a headache. Also, it wasn't as heavy as I thought it might be, nor did it make me feel lop-sided or top heavy. The only caveat - watch out getting into the car! I completely misjudged how high up it was and smacked into the side of the car. I immediately thought it was done for, but it didn't make a dent!

Have fun!

15 comments:

brunsli said...

This is so cool! Your bun looks great on you.

I can't wait to try it -- in 3 or 4 years -- LOL!

In the meantime, I will email to RDP.

RedDredPrincess said...

Yes! Thanks so much! I have not ever given much effort and putting my hair in a bun. I think I will give the "Brenda" method a try!
:-)

Quietspirit said...

Looks do-able. I think I might give it a try. I just love your detailed instructions.

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Thanks for sharing, I love all the hair ties they really add flavor!

Unknown said...

Awesome look! Can't wait until I'm able to do this.

C & C said...

so beautiful and no pins!! great!

Mel said...

I love your hair in pics 1 & 4 also...

Anonymous said...

Very very nice, and the accessories are great. I can't wait to try this in a few years...I hope!

Chi-chi said...

lovely! Did the bun give you a little curl when you took it out?

Aya said...

So beautiful Brenda. I will have to refer back to this post when my hair is long enough to attempt this style. Thanks for posting it.

Brenda said...

Thanks everyone! I hope it's useful, now or later.

Chi-Chi - no, I didn't get any curl from it - it was done dry and I only had it up for a few hours. Maybe if I spritz it a little.

Mel - pic 1 is a staple for me when I'm being lazy - which is frequently in the summer.

Anonymous said...

Love it! I need to bookmark this post for when my "eternity and a day" comes I have your length (-:

You look fantastic! Thanks for being so detailed in your instructions.

Anonymous said...

Wow..you can really see the length of your hair...It is so cute, I don't often see you with your hair straight and it is soooo cute.

Ro~ said...

Ok you look absolutely georgeous!!! However, I had to chuckle when you said you bumped your head on the car and it didn't even make a dent.....in the car or your hair?? Crazy, huh!

Audrey's Pleasure said...

that's just sheer perfection. I love it!!!