Thursday, October 19, 2006

And these are my children


Here's the first appearance of my kids on my blog. Enjoy it! You probably won't see them so well dressed for a long while. Their usual uniform is jeans and tees. The occasion for such a grand display was that while I was in AC, they attended the NAACP Gala (that was my babysitter). At least they smiled for the camera. They look like they're having a better time than they told me they did. But what do kids know?

I did my best to put my daughter's hair in flat twists. Earlier in the week, I had set her locks (locked 3+ years now) on SoftSpike curlers for her school pictures, but it rained several days that week. She still has some curl left but it wasn't enough to leave it out completely and still be in keeping with the formality of the affair. Plus, she so hates for me to do much of anything to it, preferring to free-style most of the time. I think it came out rather well. I wish I'd had some shiny clips or beads to anchor the twists - but I really didn't plan ahead for that and had nothing to match.

They so rarely get the opportunity to dress this formally, so I'm glad I have a picture. But I'm going to confess my little secret - I'm a BIG fan of shopping at the thrift store, especially for the kids, who grow out of everything in the blink of an eye, and for occasions like this when they'll only wear an outfit once or twice. My daughter's dress is a Nicole Miller purple velvet (Brunsli - I'll save it for your daughter!) that surprisingly fit her perfectly considering she's a toothpick. Unfortunately, due to her modesty, you can't see the beautiful rhinestone spaghetti straps that hold it up. My son's suit also came from the thrift store and also didn't need alteration. I can't believe how dapper he looks! For the price I paid, you can't beat it. And I know someone's going to ask, so I'll tell you now - the dress cost $4.95 and the suit was $7.95. Champagne taste for beer money!

13 comments:

brunsli said...

Your children are beautiful!

Okay, I am headed to the thrift store tomorrow. Do they have adult clothes too? LOL!

Chi-chi said...

Wow, your kids look great. I'm needing a hook up myself. Which store did you go to?

Brenda said...

Brunsli - Yes, they do but, unfortunately, usually no dressing rooms!

Chi-Chi - My sister and I used to live in Chicago. We always went to Village Thrift, mostly on the north side.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, your daughter looks so much like you, beautiful and your son is a cutie also :)

Abena

Sister-in-Locks said...

Very nice. I wish I good get my daughter to get Sisterlocks. She is 11 and is not having it.
BTW- I will be in Philly in a couple of weeks for a wedding.
IF she saw your daughter's, I think she would be sold.

Brenda said...

Abena - I affectionately refer to her as my evil twin daughter!

SIL - Does she like braids? Try two-stand twisting her hair for two weeks at a time and see how she likes that. She might be more open to it when she sees how she'll look and how low maintenance it is.

Maryee said...

Lawd, you are my kinda gal!! What a steal (deal)!! The kids look classy and sassy!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Quietspirit said...

Great looking children and a nice blog too. I really enjoyed meeting you at the locks conference. I look forward to reading more.

Goodnapps said...

Sorry Brenda. I must be slipping on my blog stalking. Your children are absolutely beautiful. If I didn't know any better, could be twins.

BlaqKofi said...

Lovely children and I'm all for the bargain shopping, particularly for little ones. Your daughter's locks are just gorgeous and your 'lil man is handsome.

ayankha said...

the children are soo cute. i am a thrift stoe junkie! all of my coats cost under $10, so i understand. i was worried that i wouldn't be able to find good stuff out here (haven't gone shopping yet) but if i don't i'm heading your way!

Creyole said...

Brenda!! HOW IN THE WORLD DID I MISS YOUR NEW BLOG??? And you created it on my birthday too!! I'm sick that I'm just now seeing it but happy to know you have one.

I've read all the posts and your babies are soooooooooo handsome. Looking forward to keepin up to date with your blog.

THanks again...BTW, will you be giving your daughter an alias name?

Brenda said...

Hey Creyole - I was finally dconvinced to do it! And yes, I did give both of them aliases: my daughter is Goldie because of the golden brown hair she got that came from I don't know where! And my son is A-man because thats what Goldie called him since she had trouble pronouncing his name after he was born.