Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Summer's officially over

A sure sign on the east
coast that summer is not going to make a return visit for several months, is the transition of Six Flags Great Adventure from regular theme park to Fright Fest. The park is draped in cobwebs and ghouls roam the paths. All the shows have a spooky theme.

Since we have season passes we usually go once before the park finally closes for the season. It’s our last opportunity to ride the roller coasters. Unfortunately, we must have picked the wrong day for this visit. The park was beyond crowded. We’re used to having to stand in line for about 45 minutes to an hour for the good rides, but this was ridiculous! The lines for the most popular rides stretched out of the line-up maze and well into the walking areas of the park. The line for the new El Toro roller coaster was easily 3 hours long. Had I paid a regular admission on that day, I’d have been pissed!


Luckily, on our previous visit to the park, we had the opportunity to ride Kingda Ka. Billed as the tallest (456 feet), fastest (128mph in 3.3 seconds) roller coaster in the world, it was quite an experience. The concept is simple, you go straight up, make a hairpin turn and come straight down. I was actually more scared going up than coming down! For those of you who don’t do coasters, this picture’s for you!


Not wanting to waste the entire visit standing in line, the kids and I decided to check out the shows, which we rarely do at other times because we’re riding. The best one was Hypnosteria. A hypnotist called a group of 20 people on stage and then weeded them out based on their susceptibility to hypnotic suggestion. Once he got them under, he gave them all tasks that one would suspect they wouldn’t normally do if fully aware. Parts of it were hilarious! He suggested to one guy that he had his pants on backwards and told him to go behind the curtain and switch them. The guy actually came back with his pants on backwards. And you should have seen the rump shaker contest. Everyone participated and let’s just say that some had a little more to shake than others and did so for all they were worth! Due to the potentially embarrassing nature of the program, no pictures were allowed. I’ve never been hypnotized, but I wonder if I’d be susceptible to it. Have any of you ever been hypnotized?

And what would a visit to the park be without a scoop of Dippin’ Dots?

6 comments:

Cluizel said...

You know...I've never had dippin dots before...I was always scared my stomach would revolt and go on strike. :)

Awwww...I miss Great Adventure! I used to go every year around Halloween time with school. No rollercoasters though...I never could stand in line for 3 hours to be on the ride for 5 seconds...

Brenda said...

It's overpriced novelty ice cream that tastes OK, but they're fun. I agree on the lines. For about $25 per person, you can get an express pass to skip the lines. But who wants to pay that after you just paid 60+ to get in the park (or for your annual pass), not to mention the extremely overpriced food and snacks. Sometimes I just think these parks are a rip. At least at Universal Studios, they build in express passes with your ticket that you can use one at a time.

Anonymous said...

hi,

So Frightfest is usually crowded? Wow, I haven't been GA since the price was $25.00. I'm from jersey, and mother has a picture of me in 1975 when GA was just beginning (very few rides).

I'm kid at heart and it's great to see U take your children OUT. Nowadays, it's very rare.

I miss philly too. it's about 2.5hour ride from where i reside. I use to 'hangout" on N62nd street/market. (it's that the west side?) I know it's bad area now.

enjoy your blog...

Sister-in-Locks said...

I have only tried dippin dots once. They were good. You made me want to try them again.

Enjoying the blog.

Brenda said...

Tanya - I knew you'd find it!
Anon - I didn't realize it'd be so crowded, more so than when we went in June. I also suspect you'll be seeing as much of my kids on my blog as me.
SIL - I like the banana split the best

ayankha said...

u r the coolest. sounds like you all had a good time! i agree, dippin dots at the end of a day of amusement is ice cream on the cake. lol.