Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year - New Hair


When I was a young girl my mom was a single parent until I was 11 and had three girls. All of us had varying amounts of hair, but at just below shoulder length, I had the least. Somewhere around the 4th grade, my mom convinced me, and then my older sister, that we'd love to have afros (I think she just needed a break). What did I know? Of course I said yes since I hoped that it would mean the end of our once-per-month beauty salon torture sessions or, worse, the kitchen salon.



Unfortunately, my 'fro didn't turn out like the ones I envied - The Sylvers! Don't pretend like you don't know who I'm talking about! So I think all through those later years, I was trying desperately to get my hair to grow back. Obviously, when perms became popular, they did more harm than good - But they did allow my hair to get back some of the length.





So when I discovered Sisterlocks, the pictures that I fell in love with were the ones of women with long hair. This was the one way that I could have the length I desired, but without all the negatives. Interestingly though, the longer my hair has gotten, the more I can see both the pros and cons of having long hair. Ultimately, I decided that I needed some short hair. Being honest with myself, I think my face is rather long and having my hair all one length, especially if I don't have curl, isn't the most flattering look for me. I also don't like how it constantly falls in my face everytime I bend over.
So I cut some. I'd been contemplating this for at least the last year, but just wasn't sure. But I finally decided to just do it. The top two pictures is what it looked like right after I took it out of my trusty SoftSpike curlers. The bottom two are after I slept on it and fluffed out the curl. It may not be as noticeable to you all, but it feels different to me. I parted off the front quarter of my hair and cut between 5 to 8 inches from ear to ear so it's gradually shorter on the top. Because it's shorter, it holds a curl better and it looks fuller around my face.

So far so good. I didn't cut any from the back, but who knows. I think after I wear this for a little while, I'm probably going to take a little more off the sides and top. Happy New Year!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely LOVELY!!!

brunsli said...

Brenda,

The layers aren't noticable per se, but your hair looks really full and beautiful!

Sister-in-Locks said...

I think it looks great!

ayankha said...

Looking GREAT!

Quietspirit said...

The cut looks good. Shorter hair does hold the curl better and a layered cut will make your hair look fuller. But your hair always looks great! Happy New Year to you

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!!

Anonymous said...

I love the full curly look!

Brenda said...

Thanks everyone! Now that I've lived with it a few days, I think I still need to take off about 2 inches from the front and top. But I'll let the curl fall out a little more before I make a decision.

Anonymous said...

Brenda,

Now you know that your hair would look beautiful no matter what you did (smile). I do like this new cut, it looks good.

Cluizel said...

CUTE! :)

Anonymous said...

You cut looks awesome, and surprisingly it still looks like not much was cut, until you look at the photo with all the cut ends.

The cut definitely fits you......................

Naturalist1 said...

Your hair looks beautiful.

Creyole said...

The Sylvers?? Ok, now you are dating yourself..... LOL! Fab-u-lous!

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Your hair looks great!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful my dear! Just beautiful! I knew when you said you were contemplating a change that scissors would be involved. :-) I am majorly impressed that you did it yourself.

My right side grows faster than the left and I still can't get i[ the courage to trim my ends!

Aundrea said...

I think your hair is awesome! The layers are very subtle and very flattering!

Anonymous said...

The cut looks lovely. I think you made a wise decision. And the beauty is - you know that you can grow it back. I don't have half the length you have, but now that my hair is getting longer, it can be a little irritating at times. My front locks and the falling in the face bothers me. I'm going to post about just that in a few days. I'm also going to post a pic of my afro days soon. Girl I had that fro like the Sylvers that you wanted! LOL...

Anonymous said...

You hair is awesome!!!!! Very flattering!

Maryee said...

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!! So beautiful Brenda!!! I love it!