Wednesday, January 24, 2007

We're all entitled to a little vanity

Unless you actually dye your hair silver, how do you live with those annoying gray hairs while you get it to the point where it looks like your hair is supposed to be silver rather than that you forgot to get a dye job? I don’t know, and I’ve decided I don’t feel like finding out right now.

When, they started creeping up in the front, I ignored it for awhile – it wasn’t so much. Then, it seemed like I woke up one day and had the “halo” effect! So not cute. At first I plucked. Not a lot, just enough that the rest didn’t stand out so much. Then I found myself having to do that way more than I knew was good for me – especially since I’m already thin haired.


So, what to do? I wanted some coverage, but I didn’t want to do my whole head. I didn’t care about the back and there doesn’t seem to be as much there as in the front anyway. Plus, I didn’t want to get a whole bottle, only to waste most of it since I only needed some for the front. Just so you know, this picture shows me at about 1 to 2 weeks away from a permanent color touch-up.




I found a haircoloring system, Bigen, where I can mix only a small amount that’s needed to touch-up the hairline. That seemed to work fine and I only needed a touch-up every two or three months or so. And no, this is not the color I use.

Now, I’m finding that about 3 weeks after touching-up the front, it’s back. I don’t want to go through this every time I wash my hair. So I bought the “hair mascara.” I hated it, but was a fast and immediate touch-up. It covered what I needed it to, but it made my hairline feel “tacky,” like mascara does on lashes, and it seemed to rub off quickly. I had to reapply every other day. So what do I try now?



As usual, I went looking on-line and found “Hairmarker.” This is marketed as being actual haircolor, not a mascara or crayon, but it’s pricey. It’s 19.99 at Sally’s Beauty Supply in 8 colors. It’s temporary so it’ll wash out with shampoo, but won’t flake or rub off.







I gave this a trial run and found that I like the feel of it much better than the mascara. The consistency of the mascara is thick and creamy while the Hairmarker is thin and liquid. After several re-applications it still didn’t feel gummy even though I didn’t wash my hair in between. But I still find I have to reapply every three or four days. However, I can’t tell yet whether it’s because it’s gradually rubbing out or because my hairline sometimes gets wet when I’m washing my face. (Have to get a bigger, better shower cap – which I’m still searching for.)


This has a sponge tip applicator, like lipgloss, rather than the mascara type brush, so application of this requires either a very light touch or use of the enclosed “comb” that slides under the hair to which you’re applying color. An extra step, but not hugely inconvenient. But I also read that you can purchase mascara brushes (without the mascara), so my next step is to get one and try applying it that way.


Since I’m not a water girl, I haven’t given it the swim test, so I don’t know how it holds up to the pool or beach. If anyone has tried it, or does, please let me know. The last thing I’d want is for it to be streaking down my face as I emerge from the water! The only thing left is to see how long a tube of it lasts.

Problem solved!

9 comments:

brunsli said...

I love this step-by-step post. Last monnth there was a bit of drama, as several white hairs had to be plucked out of my head. Surely they were law school hairs.

Do you find that your white hair acts differently than your dark hair? Does it spring out of your locks?

Brenda said...

Brunsli - I hear you about the stress! I think I started getting a few right after I had kids so I blame them. And yes, they do act differently. They're absolutely incorrigible! They're wiry and stick up and poke out of the lock faster than other hairs.

Anonymous said...

hmmmm this is good. My silver is at my hairline too and then they're long,straight and wavy...not cooperating with my kinks at all.I'll try it!

Anonymous said...

Oh you are too good, I just colored mine and my hair bunched like crazy. No more coloring for me so I'll have use your new found product. Thanks for the post!!!

Anonymous said...

You are the sisterlocked MacGyver! I have a few white wiry course little suckers at the front. I got them from DC traffic! This was a great post

Brenda said...

Cheleskilove, Creyole and Cloudnine - Glad to be of some assistance. Boy, those things sure do get out of control! I usually just include it as part of my morning makeup routine.

Anonymous said...

Brenda: You are simply a SL trailblazer! Thanks for always providing such terrific advice and detailed posts. I used your soft spike blog like a textbook! Be well - Fran

Anonymous said...

You also might want to try Clairol's hair color touch up kit. It's just enough color to do your edges or new growth (for those who color all over) without having to buy a whole bottle of color. I use this around every 4 weeks and it's quick and easy. Just brush it on, wait about 15 minutes, then rinse. You're hairline is colored for the next 3 to 4 weeks.

Docs Locs said...

Thanks for the info! I've been looking for a product like this!