Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Dreamgirls

I remember being in school when the hit play "Dreamgirls" debuted on Broadway. It was all anyone could talk about. Unfortunately, my school budget didn't allow for Broadway tickets and I wasn't in NY at that time anyway. Although the play stayed on Broadway for many years and probably toured the country, I never got an opportunity to see it. After 20 years of talk, it was finally made into a movie.

This evening, I had the chance to see the preview of it. I took my daughter, Goldie, who's a big Beyonce fan. I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan of Beyonce's acting, but even she kicked it up a notch. But I was really there to see Jennifer Hudson, who I heard was stealing the movie. That was no lie! Her rendition of "And I am telling you I'm not going" would have done Jennifer Holiday proud. Makes you wonder how Hudson didn't win American Idol! For an acting debut, she gave a great performance.

After the movie, I had to explain to Goldie some of the nuances of what had happened, but in order to do that, I first had to explain about the group upon whom the movie and the original play was based - the Supremes. Her reaction? Who were they? I had to start by saying, you remember the actress who plays Joan in "Girlfriends?" Her mother was Diana Ross who Deena Jones (Beyonce's character) was loosely based on. In her opinion, Beyonce was the best, but I had to tell her that in the original play, the person eveyone remembered most was Effie and her hit song.

One thing that was really funny was a point in the movie when Eddie Murphy's character is singing some song that I can't remember. All I could think about was, that sounds awfully familiar - alot like "my girl wants to party all the time, party all the time....." Horrors!

Addendum: Obviously, since I was at the preview of Dreamgirls, I wasn't home to see the finale of ANTM (see post below). I haven't checked the website yet, but was I right? Did Caridee win? I'm going to find out in a minute!

8 comments:

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

I am looking forward to seeing that movie. I first heard about the DreamGirls when I was in Middle School. My Middle school had a very good drama department and they did a good job performing the play it felt so real. Everybody is in love with that famous song. I can't wait to hear it I just might have to go and buy the soundtrack before I can see the movie.

CloudNine said...

I can not wait to see this movie. It is tradition in my family to see a movie on Christmas Day so this will be a treat.

Did you happen see The Oprah show with the entire Dreamgirls cast. After watching that show I downloaded Jennifer Holidays, "And I am telling you your no going." There is absolutely nothing like the power of that song.

Thanks for sharing!

Cluizel said...

Yes she did! :)

Brenda said...

Cloudnine - I never get a chance to watch Oprah, but I'm sure it was a lively show! Enjoy it.

Michelle - I thought she would! But when I talked to some folks in my office who watched it, they said Caridee actually kinda tanked.

Sistalocd - Girl, you'll be singing your heart out!

Anonymous said...

I saw it back in 79/80 when I lived in 'CT-took the train into NY. Nothing like the experience-and I didnt even appreciate it then!

ayankha said...

Fortunately my old high school did the play when my older siblings went there. We all attended the same high school my mother teaches at (she's been there for about 25 years) and because my mom is very involved in activities we attended lots of events and the plays are the absolute best. out side of seeing the play when i was about 12, i have little recollection of it. i am so glad that they made it into a movie and hopefully today's youth can get a taste of a classic. though i was not born during diana ross' hay day, i am her hugest fan (music and movies). growing up i thought she was the prettiest woman ever (well second after my mom and aunts). i used to prance around the house dressed in my mom's jewelry (only the costume jewels), dresses and heels and saaaaang! i gotta say that you are a very good parent for explaining the movie to your daughter. more of that needs to happen with kids today. my research proposal is along the lines of critical musical analysis (mostly with hip hop) and its effects on sexual behavior and self esteem.

Brenda said...

Ayankha, you need to post that paper when you're done. I can't imagine that the overall effect would be positive, especially on our young girls.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't developed a stance on whether or not I wanted to see the film though folk around me are fiending for it. This blog makes me think I might want to check it out. Perhaps before Spring semester 'cause to be sure my lil life will be too busy to stop and pause for Beyonce at that point.