Thursday, December 28, 2006

My first two years with Sisterlocks

As I look back at these pictures, I'm amazed at how far I've come. This first picture was taken at about the 7 month mark. I would estimate that I had about 2 inches of locked hair and the rest was loose permed hair. When I first started out and decided that I didn't want to cut all the perm off, I wasn't sure how my permed ends were going to behave. I had thoughts of them tangling up together and was I supposed to comb the part that was loose? Unfortunately, my consultant didn't explain alot of things to me and I didn't know enough to ask. No one that I know was blogging six years ago and while the lockitup group had just started a few months before I locked, I didn't know about it.

As it turned out, I didn't have much to worry about. Many things I learned through trial and error and luckily for me, my errors weren't too bad. I learned that I had to stretch out my permed ends after I washed my hair and BEFORE it dried in order to avoid bunching. It was a tedious process since I had to do it in addition to separating each lock. But it helped me to maintain the look I preferred on myself. This picture was taken at about the 10 month mark. It's still mostly perm, but it's getting near 3 inches of locked hair. And I really didn't have to worry about the loose hair getting tangled. Strangely enough, my relaxed ends behaved better than they did when it was just loose relaxed hair.


This picture was taken at about 18 months locked. It looks like my hair hasn't grown any since the picture above, but as I said, I was diligent about trimming off the relaxed ends each time I went in for a retightening. And I liked to wear it curled. This is approaching the half way mark between perm and locks at about 4 to 5 inches.






This is the first picture where you can really see more of the definition of the locks. I was still doing a braid out and curling the ends under. I wasn't brave enough to freestyle yet - still too much relaxed ends. This was taken at about 23 months.











In this picture, at the 2 year mark, I had no choice but to let it go! I was on a family vacation and there wasn't time to primp. I did have to pull some of it into a pony in the back, but it turned out well. I couldn't pull it all up into a pony because the relaxed ends were still too straight and they wouldn't fall properly.

Looking at these pictures has also helped me come to a long contemplated decision about my locks. We'll see what the new year brings! Have a happy and safe new year!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, this is great to see!thanks for sharing!

Goodnapps said...

What a great showcase of your progression.

Now what kind of decision are you contemplating?

brunsli said...

Decision?? What can the new year bring? Color? A cut? Hmmmm...

Cluizel said...

Hmmm...I'm curious now too...

Great post once again! :)

Anonymous said...

Again, thanks for sharing these photos. It's so wonderful to look back, remember and appreciate.

Now you have me on pins and needles about your "decision." As I read that sentence I could swear I heard some dramatic orchestra music playing in the back ground! :-)

Happy New Year! Fill a Sisterlock Sister in. :-)

Anonymous said...

Brenda,

Simply amazing!! Thanks for sharing. I love to see the stages of others peoples locks :) Your locks are absolutely gorgeous, your photo's truly show the potential of locks.

Brenda said...

Hey all! Don't worry - nothing drastic!

Anonymous said...

Brenda,

Thanks so much for your pictures with your relaxed ends. As I mentioned to you before I am currently sisterlocked with relaxed ends. Your hair maintained beautifully through the transition. Now everyone can see that relaxed hair doesn't always break. That is what I've been told over and over again. My hair appears to be doing better with the sisterlocks. Better than it did with just the relaxer ! Thanks for your advice and testimony. Your new cute is gorgeous too.

Sisterlocked and Smiling,
Sonia

Brenda said...

Sonia - Good luck with your relaxed ends. It is possible. Surprisingly, I also was not using any conditioner at all after shampooing, not even on the relaxed ends, but my hair didn't feel dry or crispy. In fact, the one time I remembers using a conditioner then, it made my hair feel really oily and not clean so I had to re-wash. Just keep stretching!

Anonymous said...

Brenda since you had the relaxed ends when did you stop braiding and banding ? Just wanted to know, I am still stretching those relaxed ends !

Brenda said...

Anon - I think I stopped B&B at about 6 months. I don't remember having any problems with slippage. But stretching the ends went on for quite a while!

Anonymous said...

Hello! I'm hoping to get sisterlocks soon and I still have a lot of relaxed ends. Do you happen to have any pix of when you first got them done? What is slippage?
My email is shauna_1983@yahoo.com =)