Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My Sisterlocks Metamorphosis

As I promised a number of people when I started my blog, I finally dug up some old photos of myself prior to beginning my SLs and right after my installation. This first picture was taken in the Spring of 1998, about two years before I discovered SLs. I remember this style and I think I wore it like this up until 2000 when I got SL'd.

Back then, I'm sure I thought I was cute with this flip! But I know I was running from all kinds of water! The occasion for this pic was my cousin's graduation from UVA and we had all gone down to watch her walk. It was a mini-reunion and we stayed at a resort in Williamsburg. As all resorts do, this one had pools. Do you think I went in? I was very tempted not to, but Goldie (my daughter who actually has golden brown hair - don't know where that came from!) wanted in. So in I went, all the time trying to keep my head above water - and I told everyone within a 20 foot radius that they better not even think about splashing me! Alas, I didn't make it out of there unscathed as the humidity from the heat of the pool caught me! I still don't do water that much, but now it's not for fear of getting my hair wet - it's just I hate getting in water. This is Goldie in her pre-locks days at almost 4 yrs and A-man at not quite a year - he got some of that blond, too!

As I look at this picture now, I can only think how thin, limp and damaged my hair looks. I was diligent about keeping after the split ends since I got a trim every time I got a relaxer, but this was the extent of the growth. Un-flipped, it was just below my shoulders. I just knew something had to change.

Fast forward to about February 2000, I had decided that I wasn't going to relax my hair and was trying to figure out what to do with it. For about the third time in my relaxed life, I considered going natural, but how to transition? I didn't want to do the BC - I just didn't think I was one who looked good with really short hair. But trying to keep the length with two textures was madness! I made it to May then broke down and got creamed. Less than one week after giving in, I was in the magazine section looking at hair mags. I don't know why exactly since I was never usually one for looking at them. I came across this multi-page spread on SLs and I instantly knew this was for me!

I had thought about locks at various times before, but didn't do it because everything I knew about them said that I'd have to cut everything and start with natural hair. I had even gone so far as to have my hair braided with extensions in the hope of transitioning them into locks. Not a very well-thought-out plan and they were gone in a month.

After noting with glee that SLs could be started with relaxed hair, I couldn't wait til the next business day to call San Diego and get a referral. I was on the phone bright and early (minus the time difference) Monday morning and got the names of three consultants. I was so disappointed that one didn't answer and I had to leave a message with the second. But the third was the charm. I spoke to Jo for about a half an hour and was ready to make the appointment when she burst my bubble! She told me I had to have at least and inch and a half of new growth. Damn that cream! I told her I'd call her back in about two months.

Two months later I was back on the phone and told her I could set an appointment at her earliest convenience - how about today??? No, but she did manage to see me within a few days. When I got there, I found a woman who had small SLs that were just touching her shoulders. I should mention here that up to this point, I had not yet seen any actual SLs in person, but I just knew I wanted them. She put in about 6 test locks and in two weeks, I was settling down for 13 hours of installation over two days. The last two pictures were taken just after my installation on which she did a braid out. Amazingly, these don't look as scalpy as I originally thought they did, but I think my hair was thicker overall than it is now, at least at the crown area. My usual style in the early days was a braid-out, roller set to keep the relaxed ends under control. It would take me almost 4 years to trim away the relaxed ends and feel comfortable free-styling.

For those of you who are newbies - keep the faith! Your hair will blossom in no time, and you will definately believe that this is the best hair decision you ever made. I was by no means the poster child for thick, abundant hair, but you can see how mine turned out. I'm amazed at how far I've come. When I find more pics from along the way, I'll post.

21 comments:

ayankha said...

great account! you even give me hope and i've never experienced "the cream". i will admit that somedays i miss my length, which were achieved by a pressing comb or twist extensions. i have never considered myself being a "length freak", but more into healthy looking hair. i think it's the ponytail thing: i would love to wear my hair up without little locks poking around up there or some barely making it in in the back. and my sister calling for the bridal party to wear our hair in a bun is scary, but hopefully by then i would have found a way to do it without it looking like my former sloppy attempts (open to any suggestions on updos, though i doubt that you had this problem?). SLs have taken me and my patience to places i thought i'd never be.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your transition pics. Your locs are so beautiful at it's current stage.

Cluizel said...

Oooohhh...I love the pics! Thanks for sharing!

Great Post...

Anonymous said...

Brenda,

Thanks so much for the transition pictures! They are great.

brunsli said...

Great post!

I feel you on the pool thing.

Brenda said...

Thanks all. I also found some that were taken at about year 1 and 2 that I'll post also.

Ayankha - I don't think I was able to do a respectable bun until about year 2. Try getting very thin hairpins to anchor the stray ends that won't fit so that they stay down, but the pins won't be that noticable.

Anonymous said...

Awesome Brenda! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Maryee

V @ Locks-N-Motion said...

Wow this was very interesting post. I enjoyed viewing your pics and reading your blog you are very encouraging! Thanks for sharing! All I can sya is wow what a transformation from then to now!. I need more patience, lol

Anonymous said...

You mentioned that you cut your final relaxed ends off after 4 years. Did you relaxed ends break off before you finally cut them ? I have been told that my relaxed ends will break off. I will wait until that happens.

Brenda said...

Anonymous - No, my ends didn't break off. I was diligent about stretching them out after washing, BEFORE they dried, and I always trimmed about a quarter to a half inch each time I got retightened

Unknown said...

Wow beatiful before and after....

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for that information. I will follow your recommedations about strengthing and trimming permed ends. That was great news to hear when so many people have told me my permed ends will break. Your locks are beautiful.... Again thanks.......

Anonymous said...

Brenda,

The only word that comes to mind is WOW!!! BTW- I accidently deleted my blog so can you update my blog in your blog role, my new blog address is: www.chosenvessel06.blogspot.com

Thanks,
Abena

Anonymous said...

WOW! I'm practically speechless about the origins of your journey.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that Brenda. I have just had my SL's done and your info is really useful.
I have also decided to trim a little hair each time I have it retightened. I am a fair few trims away from locs like yours - they are beautiful!

Mel

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that Brenda. I have just had my SL's done and your info is really useful.
I have also decided to have a little hair trimmed each time I go for a retightening. I am a fair few trims away from having locs like yours - they are beautiful!

Mel

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that Brenda. I have just had my SL's done and your info is really useful.
I have also decided to trim a little hair each time I go for a retightening. I am a fair few trims away from having locs like yours - they are beautiful!

Mel

Creyole said...

Fab post Brenda!! I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of this post. Still so happy you decided to finally create your blog, I just knew you had a great story to tell!

Creyole

Helga said...

What a timely post! As a 'newbie' I am frustrated with the state of my progress every other month. I did not come to SLs from relaxed hair, but I did manage to do a good deal of damage to my hair from wearing microbraids with extensions. I personally think that you had a cute look going on at the beginning of your lock journey, or maybe it is the you've got a great profile! Either way, thanks for sharing, and I look forward to seeing your one and two year photos.

Quietspirit said...

Nice post. Thanks for sharing.

Locin' Librarian said...

I know it has been years since you had to deal with permed ends, but please share as much of that routine as you remember. I desperately want to get sisterlocs and have about 7 inches of permed ends. I am currenly wearing two strand twists with added hair until I can get about four inches of new growth. At that time I plan to do as you did and wear both until my locs grow out to a length I'm comfortable with. My concern is that permed hair. Was it difficult trying to manage both textures? I hoping I can just set the permed ends each week with the spike culers and rock a few headbands or Brunsli ties (if she ever makes some more of them). Do you think that is doable?