Thursday, February 15, 2007

My date with Marvin Gaye

As expected, it started snowing Tuesday afternoon, earlier than predicted. By the time night came, I had a feeling a snow day was in the making. Normally, any time I can take a day off is cause for celebration. But this time, I wanted it to be bad enough that I didn't have to go to work, but not so bad that I couldn't take advantage of the plans I had for Wednesday evening - Valentine's Day! Luckily, it wasn't too bad, a few inches of snow and some little ice pellets blowing all around. I could deal with it.

So, my DH and I had plans to go see "My Brother Marvin," the musical written by (or based on memoirs of) Zeola Gaye, Marvin's younger sister. It was only in town for five days and Valentine's Day was opening night. The good thing about it was the chance to listen to some good, old school music. It's been a long time since I listened to Marvin and it brought back good memories. I'm old enough to remember some of his earlier work and to really appreciate his later music because I listened to it on the radio and in clubs. There's nothing like it now. It still sounded fresh.

The play, on the other hand, was a waste of time. I don't know if it was just me, but the play left me with more questions than it answered. I'll admit, I knew only basic information about him and there was alot about his personal life that was previously unknown to me. But this was not the forum where you'd learn much or truly understand the reasons behind what you did already know. After the play, I actually googled him to find out all the information that the play left out. I mean, I knew he had at least one child, Nona Gaye, but I don't think she or the others (he had three altogether) were actually mentioned in it. I also read that she was supposed to have been in the play. I must have missed her acknowledgement when the cast took a bow.

As portrayed in the play, Zeola Gaye was supposed to have been with him during pivotal moments in his life that lead to his downward spiral into drug abuse and depression. But the sad thing about it was that it came off as her trying to make her part in his life appear larger than it may actually have been. Not to mention that she apparently was right there with him using the drugs he bought. It seemed as if her reasons for doing the play were less to honor his memory than for her own aggrandizement.
There were scenes in the play that also just seemed to come out of no where and if you didn't already know some of the back story, you'd be lost. Like his confrontation with David Ruffin over Tammi Terrell, conflict with Berry Gordy over style and image and his second wife. There was actually a scene where he meets this young woman and then you never see her or hear a reference to her for the rest of the play. Turns out, it was the woman who would become his second wife and mother of two of his three children. Glad my DH knew.

And as long as the play was, about 3 hours, they didn't include all his major hits. I was disappointed in that. You know how it is when you're all set to hear all the good songs you remember. In any event, it was nice to have an evening out. I just think he deserves better than this.

7 comments:

CloudNine said...

The first time I saw my father cry was when Marvin Gaye died. I remember that day like yesterday. His music filled our house and my father would always sing his music. I did not fully appreciate his genius until I was much older. I am sorry the play did not do his legacy justice.

Naturalist1 said...

I am a big Marvin Gaye fan. I, too, grew up listening to him growing up. My parents, especially my mother loved Marvin Gaye. I heard on the radio re: the Marvin Gaye play and was a little sceptical about it. The play is coming around my mother's birthday in Chicago and I was gonna surprise her with tickets. Thank you for your reviw. I'll have to pass on that.

Mel said...

That's such a shame that the play was no good. I love going to theatre and get really annoyed when what I see is a waste of time. A few months ago I went to see 'Seven Brides for Seven Brothers' in the West End. It was awful. I just couldn't believe that anyone had the gall to charge people money to see it.

Brenda said...

Sadly, aside from the music, I was disappointed. In fact, I was speaking to my DH about it again just this morning and he also said the more he thought about what we had seen, the more disappointed he was. Considering all the biopics that have been done on great artists, I'm surprised that his life story hasn't been done yet. Wait for the movie!

Anonymous said...

Brenda-

Thanks for all your help with my blog..I added you to my blog.

locsuluv.blogspot.com

ayankha said...

I did not know all that info about Marvin Gaye. I do looove his music, though I may be a little too young to recall when it came out exactly. Thanks for the heads up on the play. I hope a movie comes out, it sounds like he had a very interesting life.

Anonymous said...

THE STAGE PLAY "MY BROTHER MARVIN" WAS AWESOME!!! I DONT KNOW WHAT TWILIGHT ZONE YOU WERE IN OR MAYBE YOU WERE HIGH ON SOMETHING, FOR ANY ONE READING THIS.....GO CHECKM IT OUT OR GO TO YOU TUBE AND READ UP ON MY BROTHER MARVIN. EVERY NEWSPAPER AND MEDIA RATED THIS PLAY AS EXCELLENT, I SUGGEST YOU READ THE REVIEWS.
AND TO YOU MY SICK SISTAH.....DONT HATE !!!
YOU NSHOULD BE AHAME OF YOURSELF TO WRITE THIS BULLSHIT AND MIS-INFORM MARVINS FANS.