Monday, February 05, 2007

Philly can be beautiful

When I first moved here, I didn't think too much of this place as cities go. Having moved here from NYC, I thought of it as a step-city. Don't get me wrong, there are many things I do like about the city, but it never really grabbed me in the same way that NY and Chicago did. I still believe that there are many things this city needs to do to become world class and one of them is having a comprehensive vision of what the city will grow to be and stop letting it grow in a piece-meal fashion.
One of the things I do like about Philly (besides water ice) is the Mural Arts Program. This is a volunteer arts program that grew out of the Philadelphia Anti-Graffiti Network, which was originally a way to encourage residents to beautify their surroundings by getting rid of unsightly graffiti. It actually challenged graffiti writers to channel their tremendous artistic energies into muraling which had the capabilities to change the face of the city.





The efforts of the Mural Arts program is such that they have had, at various times, over 2700 different and beautiful murals in locations throughout the city - from downtown Center City to some of the most blighted neighborhoods. The subject matter has ranged from famous Philadelphia personalities in entertainment, politics, religion, sports and community service, to landscapes, abstracts, history and messages of inspiration and encouragement.


And the murals are huge. Usually covering the entire sides of multistory buildings - they are a presence in the community and you can't help but marvel at them. And at the talent and workmanship of those who developed the vision and brought it to life. Watching day by day as a mural is painted is awe-inspiring. There's one on the side of east-bound I-76 at Girard Ave. that never fails to almost cause me to crash my car as I drive by it. Unless you have binoculars to see it from the other side of the Schyulkill River, you can't get close enough until you're on the freeway!

When you visit, you can take an organized tour of all the current murals, or get a map and drive around at your own pace. As a tribute to one of the things I like about Philly, these are some of my favorites. Enjoy.



10 comments:

Abena Abena said...

Wow, what beautiful art, thanks for sharing Brenda.

Mel said...

Amazing!

N'Drea ~ the Storyteller said...

Hi Brenda. This is the first time I'm visiting your blog, as well. I love the pics, and your locks are simply awesome. Wow! I've never been to Philly, but since one of my dreams is to travel widely, who knows? Maybe one day I'll end up there. Thanks for your kind words about my blog. Keep encouraging your DH about his decision. It may be a little tough at the beginning. Oh, I can identify with the teasing about the pork. LOL. Peace.

Goodnapps said...

since I haven't been to Philly yet, I'm sure a visit will be quite pleasing. Thanks for sharing.

CloudNine said...

Hey Brenda,

I also love Philadelphia's Mural Project! I grew up right out the city of brotherly love. It is one of the places I would go to hang out often. The city has done a great job keeping up the momentum with this initiative. I love water ice but, I will take a Jim's or Geno's cheesesteak any day!

Thanks for sharing!

Mel said...

Ok, now I'm curious - what is water ice? I thought it was an ice skating rink you liked to go to!
Please help a poor English girl out...

Brenda said...

Chosen Vessel, N'Drea and Tanya - Thanks for stopping by. You must take a look at them, they're beautiful.

Cloudnine - I didn't know you were from Philly. Holla at me next time you visit.

Mel - I'll blog about water ice next, just for you!

Creyole said...

Wow! thanks so much for the tour, I feel like I've been on a tour. My sista bloggers are da bomb!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been to Philly, but I hear it is great...Like Chicago, the city has much to offer. Maybe I will get to Philly to experience what it has to offer. Thanks for your help with my blog...I added you to my links..

blackrussian said...

Hi Brenda,

I just discovered your blog today. I always see your name when you post comments, and I thought I had you in my blogroll, but apparently not.

This is awesome! I'm giving serious thought to attending the Locks Conference and I would LOVE to do the mural tour if I make it. Art is so inspiring!

Thanks for sharing.